Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 17:33:21 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please help spread the CVSup mirror load more evenly

> > Hi David,
> >
> > John can implement a ping echo packet protocol for cvsup whose
> > response can have "cool" information on the server. Steven's
> > book on Networking already has the code for doing network latency
> > calculations . It is more like if John has the time to implement
> > such scheme ....
>
> You don't even need to modify the protocol.  Just write a small
> tcp program that times the 3 way handshake on open to all the
> servers, take the one with the sortest time and spit that out
> for the user to stuff in his cvsupfile.
>
> 15 lines of perl should be more than enough :-)

Hi,

Thats gross server load balancing . The network travel time
does not tell you how how loaded the machine is or the server.

There are  couple of RFCs on network load balancing with
respect to servers or services and I am sure that there
are also widely available research papers.

Here is a "cool" pointer to a RFC archival with a query
capability...

http://sunsite.auc.dk/RFC/

	Have Fun Guys!

--