Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:39:42 GMT
From:      Jesper Wallin <jesper@nohack.se>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/119073: A lot of ports are extracted with 0777 permissions.

>Number:         119073
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       A lot of ports are extracted with 0777 permissions.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
A lot of tarballs for ports seems to be packed with permissions like 0777, giving anyone on the system write-access to the /usr/ports/<foo>/<bar>/work/<bar-123> directory. I personally have /tmp, /var and /usr/home mounted with the noexec and nosuid options as I don't want my users to run any "external" programs.

These odd permissions give local users access to execute commands and/or malicious users access to fill up the /usr partition. It can, of course, be solved with a simple "make clean" and/or a proper setup of disk quotas. Yet, I don't see the reason for leaving the work directory with 0777 permissions, as ports are always built as root.

A few ports that I've found having these permissions are:
- archivers/rpm
- databases/memcached
- devel/autoconf261
- devel/automake14