Date:      Sat, 28 Aug 1999 08:39:15 +1000
From:      "Jordan Race" <jordan@excitech.com.au>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Naieve question

Hi,

This is probably only relevant to those here in Australia. I realise this is
also not specifically FreeBSD centered, so if anyone could reply privately
it would be most appreciated.

I am involved with a group that runs a small, non-profit content provision
service (mainly hosting). At the moment we have a permenant dial-up
connection to Telstra with a router and our own networks etc. We use FreeBSD
for all our servers.

It has come to the stage to upgrade. As we have 33.6k at the moment, we see
little justification in moving to 64k ISDN. What do people believe the best
value for money lies in? We are in a country area so Telstra is really our
only option - unless someone knows something we don't.. :)

My next part is a naieve question - how does it work? For example, at the
moment we dial the modem and pay 25c to hold our local call. We then pay the
19c per mb on top of that. With ISDN there are no flat rates? Is our call
open permenantly? I know you can do dial on demand with ISDN but what about
incoming connections? What about FrameRelay?

Any information would be most helpful..

TIA
Jordan