Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 2003 23:33:35 -0400
From:      "Michael W. Oliver" <michael@gargantuan.com>
To:        "Nigel Weeks" <nigel@e-easy.com.au>, "'Tom Rhodes'" <trhodes@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Revamped Look 'n' feel: Feedback appreciated!

--Boundary-02=_cMTZ/ZD5g5iTtms

+--- On Sunday, September 14, 2003 21:15 ---
| Nigel Weeks proclaimed:
|
| I'm very tired of convincing people that FreeBSD is a professional,
| enterprise-grade OS, when they go to the freebsd.org site, and say it
| looks like a college project.

Call me naive, but isn't this 'judging a book (or an OS) by it's cover'?

| If only a site existed that (I hate to say it, it seems so shallow),
| looked more like redhat.com, and less like a quick hack-together.
|
| I know the FreeBSD site is great! It's quick, it's links are set out
| nicely, but it isn't attractive to the big-end of town.
| This is a very big failing. It needs to be addressed.

I think that the maintainers of the freebsd.org site would be making a=20
mistake in changing the layout of their site.  It is highly functional and=
=20
organized, which may not mean much to management droids, but means a great=
=20
deal to those of us who actually use the OS on a daily basis.

Perhaps your site can fill the void for those who aren't attracted to the=20
stock FreeBSD site.

| I'm just trying to help by coming up with ideas, instead of shooting down
| others,and complaining all the time.
|
| The sooner FreeBSD takes on a professional image, the sooner it'll get
| accepted and treated as a professional solution.
|
| Yes, it's wrong, but it's how life is.

What is truly wrong are people who redefine their own world to match what=20
they think others want to see, rather than doing what they themselves=20
believe to be right.

Like it or not, the world is what we (you, me, everyone) make it, not what=
=20
others tell us it is.

=2D-=20
Mike
perl -e 'print unpack("u","88V]N=3D&%C=3D\"!I;F9O(&EN(&AE861E<G,*");'