Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 02:05:46 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Optimisation patch

At 4:29 PM -0800 2000/3/24, Kris Kennaway wrote:

>>  `make world'.  Optimization is in the default settings (-O).
>
>  Fair enough - but how about platform-specific code generation settings,
>  e.g. -march=pentium?

	Whatever the official position is, it should be documented in
/etc/make.conf, and warnings should be exceptionally clear and the
potential consequences laid out as being exceptionally dire, if one
was so "adventurous" as to enable them by default for all compiles or
to enable them for the process of making the kernel.

	There's no sense wasting everyone's time when you get a lot of
"Doctor, doctor -- it hurts when I do this!" to which our reply is
only going to be "So don't do that, you moron!"