Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 1995 17:12:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        simon@masi.ibp.fr, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: patch adding the 'noauto' switch to 'mount'

> >I just got fed up with my DOS partition being mounted automatically
> >at boot time, so I wrote a patch which enables the use of the 'noauto'
> >flag in /etc/fstab.
> >
> >For example:	 /dev/sd0s2              /dos    msdos rw,noauto 0 0
> >
> >This flag prevents a filesystem from being mounted when a 'mount -a' occurs.
> >It works for every kind of fs , since it's defined as a standard
> >mount option.

Note there is a very serious error in the patch, MNT_* are bit flags, he
defined flag MNT_NOAUTO as 0x3, witch is MNT_RDONLY | MNT_SYNCHRONOUS.

Do NOT apply that patch without fixing this.

>    That's an interesting option, but the "-a" switch stands for "all" - not
> "auto". I suppose the first question that comes to mind is: if you don't want
> the filesystem mounted with "-a", then why are you putting it in fstab?

It is common on many systems to have the noauto option, I agree it conflicts
with the symantics of the -a option, but it is handy to store all the options
for a file system in /etc/fstab, especially for complicted nfs mounts you
may not want mounted at boot time:
#gndrsh:/a              /gndrsh/a               nfs     rw,bg,soft,intr 0 0

I really hate typing:
mount -t nfs -o rw,bg,soft,intr gndrsh:/a /gndrsh/a

when I could just type
mount /gndrsh/a

if we had the noALL option :-)