Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 23:19:17 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My network is dead because of this program :(

--LyciRD1jyfeSSjG0

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 11:47:30AM +0700, John Indra wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 08:16:15PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>=20
> >Don't run -current on a production system.  Seriously, just don't,
> >unless you like dealing with this kind of stuff.  The bug report may
> >be useful, but you're playing with fire.
>=20
> This is actually not a production machine.
> Does this recommendation imply that if I run -STABLE things like this won=
't
> happen?

It's certainly much less likely (-current is not production-quality
almost by definition, although lately it's been better than it was).
However in this case it's probably just a resource-exhaustion denial
of service attack which could work anywhere, and which it's possible
to guard against using resource limitations (login.conf for things
like CPU usage and fork bombs, and dummynet for network resource
throttling).  Ultimately the best (perhaps only) solution for
obnoxious users is rmuser(8).

By the way, did you look to see what this guy was targetting his
packet flooder at?  I would not be surprised if it was flooding a
remote system and the local consequences were ancillary.

Kris

--LyciRD1jyfeSSjG0

--LyciRD1jyfeSSjG0--