Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 2009 06:43:32 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>
Cc:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>, questions@freebsd.org, VirtualHost <jeroen@virtualhost.nl>
Subject:   Re: Modern FreeBSD Installer?

--------------enig86AA057B8B91EC600B5763A0

Manolis Kiagias wrote:

> Personally, I would like a text installer using a previous/next approac=
> that would give me options like:
>=20
> - Install a Complete FreeBSD Base System =3D> Subchoices: install
> everything or select base system components
> - Install Additional Software Packages
> - Configure other services
> - Help
>=20
> and that would allow someone to go back and forth between the pages

So long as it maintains two other really useful features of the existing
sysinstall:

   * scriptable installs -- ie. being able to preload a file containing
     answers to any or all installation choices.  Ideally you should be
     able to PXE boot the installer over a network, whence it runs sysins=
tall
     automatically to build a system without further operator interventio=
n.

   * You answer all of the questions first, and only then does the instal=
ler
     commit any irreversible changes -- and particularly not any operatio=
ns
     that take appreciable lengths of time like creating filesystems or
     downloading voluminous install sets.

The ability to whiz through sysinstall, set everything up and hit 'go',
then deal with something else while the machine is chuntering away to its=
elf
is a real godsend.

	Cheers,

	Matthew