Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 2010 19:09:48 -0700
From:      Hac Phan <hacos@rescomp.berkeley.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Boot loader/kernel error

--5/uDoXvLw7AC5HRs

Hi,

I'm having trouble with a machine that was recently rebooted and will no lo=
nger
boot correctly.

The boot process hangs with the following screen:
-

The cursor does not move and no other text is displayed. After about 10 min=
utes,
the boot finishes (without the splash screen) and displays the login prompt=
=2E I
tried to login but it timed out after 300 seconds.

The server was using a custom built kernel. I tried to get the GENERIC kern=
el
=66rom the livefs ISO and restore it via FIXIT console, but I realized that=
actually don't know how to do that...

So how do I go about fixing this? Thanks in advance.
--=20
Hac Phan
Unix System Administrator
Network & Infrastructure, RSSP-IT