Date:      Sun, 25 Jul 1999 21:16:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        "Michael P. Neuman" <neubyneu@twcny.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dns

On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Michael P. Neuman wrote:

>     I'm running FreeBSD-3.2-RELEASE.  Currently in my DNS records, I have
> set up CNAMEs for www, ftp, and a few others.  I want www to strictly be
> used for the http protocol and ftp for ftp protocols.  For example, I don't
> want people to be able to type in http://ftp.cmsnet.net and have it take
> them to my web site.  I want them to be able to get to the site only by
> http://www.cmsnet.net .  And I don't want to allow peopel to do
> ftp://www.cmsnet.net to get to my ftp server.  How would I go about doing
> this??  Thank you again.

hmm, if your machine only has 1 IP address then you are pretty much
out of luck in terms of ftp, however with web you can define
a virtual host for everything except "www" to go to an error or
redirect page.

if you have multiple IP addresses you can tell the servers to
only bind to a particular IP.

good luck,
-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|bright@wintelcom.net]
systems administrator and programmer