Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 13:25:38 +0700
From:      John Indra <john@office.naver.co.id>
To:        Brian O'Shea <boshea@ricochet.net>
Cc:        Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My network is dead because of this program :(

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 11:03:54PM -0700, Brian O'Shea wrote:

>Probably because the program is forking and you can't kill it's children
>fast enough.

You are probably right...

>resources get exhausted.  Take a look at the attachment for more
>details.

Thank you for your detailed guide to trace what the program does. I don't
know how to use gdb :)

I want to add some point that I forgot to mention...

>Child calls socketpair with the following arguments:
>    int socketpair(int domain, int type, int protocol, int *sv)
>    int      domain   = 0x1     (AF_LOCAL)
>    int      type     = 0x1     (SOCK_STREAM)
>    int      protocol = 0x0     (typically 0 for AF_LOCAL)
>    int     *sv       = address of an array of two file descriptors
>
>Push arguments to socketpair onto stack and call socketpair again:
>
>0x80486a8 <main+76>:	lea    0xfffffff8(%ebp),%eax
>0x80486ab <main+79>:	push   %eax
>0x80486ac <main+80>:	push   $0x0
>0x80486ae <main+82>:	push   $0x1
>0x80486b0 <main+84>:	push   $0x1
>0x80486b2 <main+86>:	call   0x80484e0 <socketpair>
>0x80486b7 <main+91>:	add    $0x10,%esp
>0x80486ba <main+94>:	mov    %eax,%eax
>
>Note: It's strange that the address family is AF_LOCAL.  I wouldn't think
>this would cause the problems that you are seeing with the xl0 device,
>unless AF_LOCAL sockets consume some of the same resources that this driver
>also consumes, and thus starves it of those resources.  I don't know enough
>about FreeBSD to tell.

I am not sure about this too. But I think I should mention that I am running
a jail, and the offending program runs inside the jail. Maybe this can clear
up things?

/john
Live Free OR Die