Date:      Tue, 01 Jan 2008 13:03:46 -0500
From:      Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Extremely slow authentication via SSH on FreeBSD 6.0

First, thank you to others who posted about this issue.

I altered /etc/ssh/sshd_config for UseDNS no, and noticed I get the
prompt right away, however it still takes about 15 seconds after
authentication to get a shell prompt.

This is FreeBSD version:  FreeBSD 6.3-PRERELEASE #7: Sat Dec 22 11:12:15
EST 2007

I noticed this behavior after the last system build and install.  Prior
to that, I didn't see problems like this.

I don't see this problem with httpd (apache) etc.

The DNS servers my ISP provides are quickly reachable and appear to be
caching very well, so I doubt that's the issue.

Conversely, and perhaps this is a hint, the GW I log in to has this
problem, but if I log in from there to an internal system using the same
exact version of FreeBSD, I don't have any problems like this at all.
The difference being I also use internal DNS as well as /etc/hosts entries.

Thanks.