Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 01:58:54 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mixing STABLE and manualy maintained distributions.

Chris Fedde wrote:

> I'm hoping that some of you might have a comment on this.
>
> I track a few distributions from the net pretty closely (bind, sendmail,
> perl, etc).  Generaly I have a different version of these than is tagged
> by RELENG-4.  My current procedure is to synch with stable compile up to
> functional then re-install my distributions.
>
> Is there a tool or technique that I could be using that is better
> suited to this kind of environment than what I am doing?

	You need to look more carefully at the make.conf options. There are knobs
to turn off the builds of all 3 things that you mentioned explicitly, and a
lot more. Creation of additional knobs for other items of interest is
always welcome (though not always accepted).

	You should also look carefully at the option of using a cvs repository and
checking out your src tree. This will give you a mechanism for preserving
local modifications that don't end up in the tree.

Good luck,

Doug