Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 2009 18:15:47 -0600
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt@mac.com>,  FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Brokenness in HEAD

Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
> Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 25, 2009, at 8:21 AM, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
>>
>>> Something seems to currently be quite broken in HEAD for PowerPC, at
>>> least on the AIM platform. I'm getting almost immediate panics all
>>> over the place in the kernel, usually indicating memory corruption
>>> somehow (faults on bogus addresses, illegal instructions, etc...).
>>> This is a heads-up to those thinking of updating systems or who
>>> might know what happened.
>>>
>>> The change is on order a week old, and I believe newer than the
>>> 20th. I have not done a full binary search yet, but it is not
>>> related to the following (checked by selective reversion of bits of
>>> the tree, or disabling bits):
>>> - USB code
>>
>> USB2 works on my G4 mini. I'm running rev 188699
>> on it...
>>
> Yep. Mine too. And the previous kernel I have that works, compiled
> Feb. 20, has USB2 and Altivec. The list was the list of things I know
> are not the problem, because my kernels panic with or without those
> components. I don't think I'll have time to track the problem down for
> a couple days, but I think it happened between r188860 and r189000,
> which doesn't leave too many candidates.
Whatever this was, it seems to have gone again after completely wiping
my local copy of the source tree and downloading a new one. Maybe I had
some uncommitted hacks somewhere that I had forgotten about and were
breaking things, or maybe that file system is giving out.

Anyway, sorry for the (alarmist) noise.
-Nathan