Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 96 00:51:48 PST
From:      "Brett Glass" <Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot boot after install

By the way, while I'd *hope* that the author of the IDE driver would know
how to turn off disk spindowns, there's an obvious shortcut. Simply make
sure that the system does a seek at regular intervals. To prevent this from
interfering with normal operation, the driver could do this only if there
had been no disk activity for awhile.

--Brett

P.S. -- After the most recent install attempt, I got messages of the form:

/kernel: arplookup failed for <address>; system not on local network.

Why is the system trying to do an ARP on a system on the other side of the
router? The address isn't that of our domain name server (though the domain
name server is also on the other side of the router).