Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 15:09:13 -0700
From:      "Aaron D. Gifford" <agifford@infowest.com>
To:        dg@root.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 install freeze with fxp0

I originally posted:
> >I finally decided to try out 3.0, but have run into some trouble.  The
> >install hangs on "adding route" (on the debugging screen, alt-f2).
> >Further investigation reveals that for some reason my on-the-motherboard
> >Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100 net card is not autodetecting my 10baseT
> >hub.  The hub light will flash green for an instant when I first plug
> >the box in, then stay dark, while the green link light on the
> >motherboard stays lit.  Weird!

To which David Greenman graciously replied:
>    Sounds like a bad cable.
>
> -DG
>
> David Greenman
> Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project

That's what I thought, but switching to another cable that has been
working flawlessly on my own workstation did nothing.  Likewise,
switching hub ports accomplished nothing.

Now that I think back on it, when I had 2.2.8 running on this box, it
was an unusual installation where I installed the entire system on a
different box, compiled a kernel with the appropriate drivers, then
moved the SCSI drive to this box where it booted flawlessly and worked
solidly for several months on the net.  I don't think I've ever had an
install floppy work for a 'net install on this box.

One other unusual item.  Even when power is OFF, the little green LED
"link" light on the back of the motherboard turns green if a good cable
is plugged into a powered hub.  Odd.

Any additional suggestions are welcome.

And thank you for your response!  I really do appreciate it when anyone
has something to contribute, whether or not it solves my problem.

Sincerely,
Aaron Gifford