Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 16:55:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Wolfgang Zenker <wolfgang@lyxys.ka.sub.org>
Cc:        sroberts@dsl.pipex.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup stable-supfile does not update GENERIC (and others) kernel?

On Sat, 22 Jun 2002, Wolfgang Zenker wrote:

> > I also see in A Anderson's book FreeBSD - An Open Source Operating
> > System for you Personal Computer, pg 341 step 5:
>
> > "Type cd /sys/i386/conf and cp GENERIC MYKERN. Edit this new copy of
> > GENERIC called MYKERN, making the same kind of changes described in the
> > previous chapter... <snip>
>
> > so it's best to start with a copy of the new GENERIC as a base rather
> > than your old config file."
>
> > She mentions / suggests here that there should be a new copy of GENERIC
> > listed in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf for me to use for producing the new
> > kernel in step 7:-
>
> As I read the text you quoted, she suggests to copy the file GENERIC to
> MYKERN. This makes MYKERN a new copy of GENERIC.
>
> > make kernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
> > make installkernel KERNCONF-MYKERN
>
> There seem to be a few minor errors here: "make kernel KERNCONF=MYKERN"
> would actually build AND install a new kernel using the config file
> named MYKERN. If you want to do it in two seperate steps, it would be
>  make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERN
>  make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERN
> (Note there is a "=" instead of "-" in the installkernel line and I
> used MYKERN everywhere instead MYKERN in one line and MYKERNEL in the other).

Just in self-defense, the errors are not in the book but just in
the retyped quote from the book.  I appreciate knowing about any
typos etc. because they are very difficult for the writer to catch,
but the text in the book is as Wolfgang (correctly) states it.

> Wolfgang

	Annelise
--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC