Date:      Wed, 22 May 2002 20:25:51 -0500
From:      "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "Patrick Almeter" <tolkienfreak32@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Where? and Which?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick Almeter" <tolkienfreak32@yahoo.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 7:54 PM
Subject: Where? and Which?

> Where on your site can I go to download the free
> firewall? I can't find it. Or is the firewall included
> when you download freeBSD altogether (by clicking
> download freeBSD....) If what I said in the last
> sentence is true, which version ( vesion meaning like
> e.g- 5.0, 4.6, 6.7 etc.) of FreeBSD has the best
> firewall. I have Windows98 if that helps.
>
>                                     Thanks,
>                                            Pat
I'll say this once, remember it for later:  the
Handbook is your friend.

No firewall in FBSD runs on Windows  [ze]?.

FreeBSD is a community-developed and -supported
OS that is flexible, robust, efficient, and extremely stable.

FBSD has two good "firewall" programs:  ipf and ipfw.
Each has its strengths.  However, if you want the
FBSD firewall, you need the OS. Start with
4.5-RELEASE; then, when you're ready,
cvsup to the -STABLE branch.

Read all about it here:
    http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/

And then, repeat after me:
    "The handbook is my friend...."
    "The handbook is my friend...."
    "The handbook is my friend...."
    "The handbook is my friend...."
& c., & c.,

Lots of FBSDers have run Windoze at
one time or another.  A few of them may
have actually liked it.  :-)   I have included
some (insert your adjective here) instructions
below that you might (or might *NOT*)
wish to follow ;-)    Good luck learning
about the OS (which really means "Open Source")!!

Kevin Kinsey,
DaleCo, S.P.

<!-----begin low intensity flame code----->

Here's a possible solution to your problem:

download mfsroot.flp, fdimage.exe &
      kern.flp from
ftp.freebsd.org/pub/freebsd/Releases/4.5-RELEASE/floppies/
use fdimage.exe to burn the floppies
Click Start | Run | type 'dosprmpt'
type "format c:"
Wait a few minutes...
reboot with the kern.flp floppy and follow
   the included instructions    ;-p

<!---------end low intensity flame code----->

BTW, if you don't actually know what that will