Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2007 11:35:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        leegold <leegold@fastmail.fm>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DVD set-up help

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007, leegold wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out DVD playback. I have 6.2 w/KDE-lite. I can play
> audio CD's on the DVD. I have installed and want to use VLC.

[snip]

> Thanks, The end result I want is to be able to play movies.

I can't answer all your specific questions, but all I had to do to play
movies was this:

1. Install vlc, which you've done;
2. As root, mount the dvd;
3. As ordinary user, run vlc like
   vlc dvd:///dev/acd1

My ordinary user has write access and group ownership on the DVD drive
device file, but I don't know if that is necessary. Also I have those
sysctls set like so:
  kern.ipc.shmmax: 33554432
  kern.ipc.shmall: 8192

...again, I'm not sure how necessary that is.

HTH.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]