Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 20:05:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!

> We've been telling people for a long time that the wd driver would
> remain around even after ata went golden to support the ESDI systems
> still in service.  That sounds like it is changing now.

Real support for ESDI died with bad144...  Error free ESDI disks are
very rare, even the best in my collection has 1 hard error and 3 soft.

> It just feels like it is being rushed too much.  My objections would
> go away if you said it is going to die in the week between xmas and
> new years.  remove it from files today, to make sure that only the
> really clueful can get to it, but don't do a cvs remove until after
> the holidays...

Someone needs to dull the dane's axe, it's cutting a bit deep and
fast!   :-) :-)

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net