Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 22:58:09 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Ken Marx <kmarx@bigshed.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lost interrupts in snd0 ?

Ken Marx:

 |1. Who is/are supporting the voxware driver for 3.x? Can we get help here?

Not sure right now.  Amancio's generoulsy volunteered to pick it up soon as
his work life settles down.

 |2. We should diff the 3.2/3.4 i386/isa/sound source, and maybe try
 |   using 3.2 source in the 3.4 kernel (if possible?).

I agree.  I don't have time right now to go pinning this one down, but if
someone else does, I'd certainly appreciate a Cc.

 |3. I've been wondering about motherboards. Can bus timings or bios
 |   settings affect things? My 3.2 box has an FIC PA2013 @ 400mhz.
 |   What have you got? (Although the fact that you see different

ASUS P55T2P4.

 |   behavior on the same box w/ different OS's points away from this.)

Agreed.

 |5. Is there a way, other than insturmenting the kernel to keep
 |   timestamps on all outb() inb() calls to know what the board thinks
 |   it's doing during these pauses and/or whether it thinks it already
 |   interrupted back.

Don't know if there's a "DEBUG" toggle you can enable in Voxware or
not. Might search around in src/sys/i386/sound and see what you find.

 |6. Is it possible that some how the qlen is incorrectly > 0 hence
 |   making the snd driver think that it's waiting for something that
 |   will never occur? I couldn't find it in the code, but that means nothing.

Beats me.  I'm not sure what you mean by qlen.  DMA ring transfer buffers?

 |7. Lastly, this is kind of dumb, but you can put some trace in your
 |   kernel to see how long it's waiting in dma_sync().

All good questions.  Hopefully someone else with Voxware guts knowledge can
help out here :-)  (i.e. I don't qualify)

Randall