Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 1998 16:56:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   User PPP/PAP & IPs

I just recently have been trying to use my FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE box as a PPP
server. At the moment, the setup I have will work for my first - and
fairly special - case, but I'd like to make it more versatile.

I'm running mgetty and more or less the PAP examples from the source. What
I'd *like* to be able to do is this:

	1. allow only specific PPP/PAP logins from specific users on
	specific lines and deny all others, even if they have valid
	passwords. (e.g. dedicated-line customers)

	2. allow PPP/PAP dialups on other ports and have them recognized
        as either "normal" accounts, which get a dynamic IP (or a fixed IP
	for specific ports) or "static IP" accounts and issue them a
	user-specific static IP. It's acceptable for the static IP users'
	passwords to be in ppp.secret but I'd prefer the "normal"
	users' passwords to come from passwd from an administrative
	standpoint.

Am I missing an obvious way of doing this? I was *hoping* that I could
assign a 'default' IP in ppp.conf for the papcuaaX entry but have it
overriden in ppp.secret - but that doesn't seem to work at all - the
ppp.secret IP is ignored in that case.

-Dave