Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 1996 09:29:57 -0700
From:      patl@asimov.volant.org
To:        rickg@nwpros.com, richards@herald.net
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Internet Explorer bug?

[ Ok, this reply is -way- late; but I've let mail from this list pile	]
[ up unread for a couple of weeks...					]

|>  > ...
|>
|>  Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator will do their best to "fix"
|>  broken HTML.  This can lead to certain errors being masked, until the
|>  page is viewed by lynx or another more literal browser.  The problem
|>  here is that any key-sequence beginning with & ( &lt; &amp; &copy; ... )
|>  should end with a semicolon ( ; ).
|>
|>  I would suggest testing all pages with lynx as a matter of course (and
|>  every other browser you can get your hands on).  This "feature" of
|>  Netscape and Microsoft browsers can cause some horrendous mistakes to
|>  appear correct.  For instance, on a couple of occasions I've
|>  accidentally written:

An even better idea is to run your pages through one of the free HTML
verification services.  You can find one, and pointers to others at:
	http://www.webtechs.com/html-val-svc/

This is not to disparage the benefits of ensuring that your pages still
make sense, and even look OK, under as many browsers as possible, especially
text-only browsers like lynx.  But that's a 'meaningful content' check; if
you want a 'correct HTML' check, use a verifier that checks against the DTD.

-Pat

My opinions are my own.  For a small royalty, they can be yours as well...
Pat Lashley, Senior Software Engineer, Henry Davis Consulting
patl@Phoenix.Volant.ORG  ||  http://Phoenix.Volant.ORG/  ||  lashley@netcom.com
PGP Key Fingerprint:	2C 2A A9 8E 86 F1 AE 17  55 9D 49 31 5B 96 E7 92