Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 2010 01:28:17 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd@gmail.com>
To:        Greg Byshenk <freebsd@byshenk.net>
Cc:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I broke my SSH to jails after 7.2-8.0 src upgrade

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 1:11 AM, Greg Byshenk <freebsd@byshenk.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 09:33:50PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
>> On 03/12/10 02:13, Greg Byshenk wrote:
>
>> > I would put in a word for 'mergemaster -F' (or maybe '-iF') in such
>> > cases.
>
>> At this point the -U option is generally a safer bet. The only time this
>> won't work for you is when upgrading from an older -RELEASE where you've
>> never run mergemaster previously, in which case it will bark loudly that
>> there is no mtree database. You could then run 'mergemaster -Fi' as you
>> suggested, and run 'mergemaster -U' immediately thereafter and you
>> should get as much "automation" as is possible.
>
> I don't actually want "as much 'automation' as is possible". =A0Generally
> I want to know what is being modified, even if it is in a file that I
> haven't changed. =A0I like '-F' because it allows me to ignore the huge
> number of files that aren't actually changed -- except the RCS line --
> that sometimes arise when moving between versions.

Excellent point. People who use FreeBSD don't want automation
necessarily -- if they wanted a software developer to make all of the
decisions for them, there's always OSX or Windows. FreeBSD users (in
general) appreciate the completeness and simplicity in the OS design,
but wherever possible if unnecessary noise can be avoided, all the
better.

Just a thought...

Cheers,
-Garrett