Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 23:27:36 +0000
From:      Dominic Marks <dominic_marks@btinternet.com>
To:        Hiten Pandya <hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: in-kernel HTTP Server for FreeBSD?

Hey,

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 10:28:32PM +0000, Hiten Pandya wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 11:05:04AM -0800, John Polstra wrote:
> > Yes, I wrote one.  Yes, it's proprietary.
> >
> > One obvious example is as part of a testbed for performance
> > testing various kinds of network appliances.
>
> hmm,
> Well, so, forgive my bluntness, in a nutshell, there is no
> in-kernel (un-proprietory) HTTP Server.  Also, as John said,
> it is very useful in some situations.  As you visit the kHTTPD
> website at:
>
> http://www.fenrus.demon.nl/
>
> You will see how much performance it offers, compared to
> userland web servers.  I don't mean polluting the kernel
> with this kind of stuff, but I wouldn't mind having an
> in-kernel HTTP Accelerator (for static pages).

Im sure nobody would resent even having the option, and I agree that
it can be a useful tool in some circumstances. However for the vast
majority of cases it is not appropriate and the lack of having one is
no great loss. You could equally make an argument that any service
should be offered in the kernel, which would be bad.

> Nothing so fancy, but, just to do its job, which it is
> good at: "Providing static pages". Anyway, I don't mean
> that people have to make it.  I know I talk to too much,
> and do less, :), but I will start a project at SourceForge,
> unless somebody has better options. ;)

Good Luck

> In a nutshell, it is better to have an in-kernel web
> server, as some people might like using it, even though
> it doesn't matter what we say, hehe :)

Can you make me and in-kernel text editor while your there? :)

--
Dominic