Date:      Thu, 8 Oct 1998 15:58:51 -0400
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@void.cs.rpi.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Marius.Bendiksen@scancall.no, toasty@home.dragondata.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CDROM as system disk

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > It's determined by the drive, not the driver.  None of our drivers
> > spin the CDROM down intentionally.
> >
> > Many drives don't offer any standard way of disabling the spindown;
> > you're basically stuck with it.
>
> I thought you could avoid spindown by reading the thing...  >^).

Slight problem, disk caching. If you are going to ping the drive every N
time units as a 'keep-alive', those blocks will very quickly get cached;
unless you devise some clever algorithm that will always ensure that you
get a block not in the cache (consider the cache could me a megabyte or
more in size, and this gets tricky)

--
David Cross