Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 2001 22:16:10 -0600
From:      "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>
To:        <freebsd-java@freebsd.org>, "Kazuyuki Shudo" <shudoh@muraoka.info.waseda.ac.jp>
Subject:   Re: Core Dump using JDK-1.2.2p10

> As others suspect, shuJIT may be the cause of your problem.
>
> > > Does the core dump happen when you don't use shuJIT?
> >
> > I don't know, I will have to research this.  It is a sporadic dump, it
may
> > take me a few days.
>
> At least, you should try to run your program without any JIT.
> Then you can distinguish what is the source of the problem,
> which can be the JDK itself or a JIT compiler.
>
> More specific information will be appreciated when
> reporting a bug candidate. For example, the version
> number of FreeBSD, JDK and the JIT is very useful to
> track the bug.

I supplied all this information except the FreeBSD version and shujit
version.  It is FreeBSD-STABLE 12-29-2000.  The JDK is 1.2.2 patch level
10 - native for FreeBSD.  The shujit version is unknown to me - but it is
whatever was newest at the time of compilation (09-05-2000).

The program ran tonight without a JIT and no problem so far.  But, as I
stated, it has run many times without the dump, only occassionally does it
happen, and it appears to be random.  I can run it with the same data,
exactly, and not trip the error a second or third time.

> If you can write up the process to reproduce your
> problem, the developers will be able to debug even
> though they don't have the source code.

I just run the class in the jar file once for each stock and it loads the
data into a postgresql (7.0.2) database.  The class is run from a script
that is called by cron each night to download the latest stock information
of what I am looking for.

If you need, I can make the jar available to you, as well as the core that
was dumped (70MB -> ~1MB compressed).

Tom Veldhouse
veldy@veldy.net