Date:      Sun, 7 May 2000 01:38:50 +0200
From:      Dave Boers <djb@ifa.au.dk>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        djb@ifa.au.dk, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hlt instructions and temperature issues

On Sat, May 06, 2000 at 04:48:51PM -0600, Steve Passe wrote:
> I think you have something else going on here, the hlt/nohlt issue should
> not cause stray irq7s.  And using hlt should not hang your system during
> printing.  My 4way has been running with hlt for a week or so now, with
> no hangs (although I admittedly have no printer on the pport).

I have never had stray irq7's as long as the machine exists (which is
exactly as long as it's running FreeBSD) until I put in the hlt
instruction. They are definitely triggered by turning on the hlt
instruction in the kernel.

The hang may be a coincidence, however (albeit a damn lucky one if it is).
I still haven't solved the random SMP related hang issue on my Abit BP6
system and I haven't even found its trigger after all this time (check the
thread called "SMP and vn" for details).

So the hang may be caused by something else but it's almost too much of a
coincidence that it occurs during printing because I rarely print from that
machine. It is not reproducible, however: I just finished printing some
large documents for testing.

I'll assume for now that you're right and that the hang isn't hlt-related
(but the stray irq7 is). Then this must mean that the random hang issue is
still unsolved.  Because noone on this list could shed any light on it, I
figured that it might be a hardware issue after all. After checking memory
integrity and all that, the only thing I could come up with was the high
core temperature. It may be that this hang just proved that it's not
temperature related either.

Testing is extremely difficult and slow because the hang only occasionally
occurs. But I'm not giving in just yet. I still have one last trick up my
sleeve; I'm going to switch the last remaining variable now.

    Regards,

        Dave.

--
 djb@ifa.au.dk                             d.j.boers@tn.utwente.nl
 PGP key: ftp://relativity.student.utwente.nl:/pub/pgpkeys/djb.asc