Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 2009 08:40:23 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        krassi@bulinfo.net
Cc:        mav@freebsd.org, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mount root from SD card?

In message: <4977236E.2020409@bulinfo.net>
            Krassimir Slavchev <krassi@bulinfo.net> writes:
:
: Boot with verbose messages is here:
:
: http://mnemonic.bulinfo.net/~krassi/ARM/arm.verbose

This looks very similar to the data corruption I saw when I had
enabled multiblock read.  To track this down, we're going to have to
print the actual data returned for each sector...

Warner

: Alexander Motin wrote:
: > Krassimir Slavchev wrote:
: >> This is the output:
: >>
: >> CMD: 0 ARG 0 len 0
: >> RES: 0
: >> CMD: 8 ARG 1aa len 0
: >> RES: 1
: >> CMD: 37 ARG 0 len 0
: >> RES: 0
: >> CMD: 29 ARG 0 len 0
: >> RES: 0
: >> CMD: 0 ARG 0 len 0
: >> RES: 0
: >> CMD: 8 ARG 1aa len 0
: >> RES: 1
: >> CMD: 37 ARG 0 len 0
: >> RES: 0
: >> CMD: 29 ARG ff8000 len 0
: >> RES: 0
: >> CMD: 37 ARG 0 len 0
: >> RES: 0
: >> CMD: 29 ARG ff8000 len 0
: >> RES: 0
: >> CMD: 2 ARG 0 len 0
: >> RES: 0
: >> CMD: 3 ARG 0 len 0
: >> RES: 0
: >> CMD: 9 ARG 10000 len 0
: >> RES: 0
: >> CMD: 7 ARG 10000 len 0
: >> RES: 0
: >> CMD: 37 ARG 10000 len 0
: >> RES: 0
: >> CMD: 33 ARG 0 len 8
: >> RES: 0
: >> CMD: 6 ARG ffffff len 64
: >> RES: 0
: >> CMD: 37 ARG 10000 len 0
: >> RES: 0
: >> CMD: d ARG 0 len 64
: >> RES: 2
: >> CMD: 37 ARG 10000 len 0
: >> RES: 0
: >> CMD: d ARG 0 len 64
: >> RES: 0
: >
: > This part looks fine. Just normal SD detection and initialization.
: >
: > Somewhere here bus frequency and high-speed timings negotiated:
: >
: >> CMD: 7 ARG 0 len 0
: >> RES: 0
: >> CMD: 7 ARG 10000 len 0
: >> RES: 0
: >> CMD: 7 ARG 0 len 0
: >> RES: 0
: >> CMD: 7 ARG 10000 len 0
: >> RES: 2
: >> CMD: 6 ARG 80fffff0 len 64
: >> RES: 0
: >> CMD: 7 ARG 0 len 0
: >> RES: 0
: >> mmcsd0: 1983MB <SD Memory Card> at mmc0 30MHz/1bit
: >
: > Then regular card activity beging:
: >
: > - select the card - error
: >> CMD: 7 ARG 10000 len 0
: >> RES: 2
: >
: > - select bus width - normal ??
: >> CMD: 37 ARG 10000 len 0
: >> RES: 0
: >> CMD: 6 ARG 0 len 0
: >> RES: 0
: >
: > - read some sectors - normal ??
: >> CMD: 11 ARG 0 len 512
: >> RES: 0
: >> CMD: 11 ARG 0 len 512
: >> RES: 0
: >> CMD: 11 ARG 200 len 512
: >> RES: 0
: >> Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/mmcsd0s1
: >
: > It's a bis strange to me that this card selection request failed, while
: > previous ones during initialization managed fine. May be card or
: > controller unable to handle such speed, or may be bus just hasn't
: > managed to settle new parameters until that command.
: > Also interesting what are the reading command returned after card select
: > command failed.
: >
: > Boot with verbose messages enabled should show when exactly frequency
: > has changed. Do it please.
: >
: >>>> Also sysinstall crashes when trying to create a new slice.
: >>>> May be because:
: >>>> Disk name:      mmcsd0                                    FDISK
: >>>> Partition Editor
: >>>> DISK Geometry:  0 cyls/0 heads/0 sectors = 0 sectors (0MB)
: >>> I don't think it is related. There is no such thing as disk geometry on
: >>> flash card, that's why driver does not announce it. The only places
: >>> where it may be important is when fdisk is trying to align partitions
: >>> with track boundaries for compatibility with legacy BIOS'es.
: >>> There is no problem to report some fake values, but from one side they
: >>> should better match BIOS assumptions on geometry and from other, they
: >>> should as much as possible to match flash erase sector size. I just have
: >>> no any system which supports SD booting to report something reasonable
: >>> there. Reporting maximal 63 sectors per track as for HDD may result in
: >>> ineffective filesystem alignment and reduced performance.
: >> At least sysinstall should be fixed. Should I fill a PR for this?
: >
: > Probably yes. I haven't looked into sysinstall.
: >
:
:
: