Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 1998 11:51:34 -0600
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@demon.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot floppy banner

"Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:

>Sure, gosh, I think we have at least 300 bytes left in the boot blocks
>to implement a help command parser with.  Bruce?  Do you remember the
>exact count? :-)

Actually, it can be made to fit, if you don't mind losing the
"Can't find <xxx>" printf()'s..

Patch below, against current-980131.. initial text printed is
from /boot.banner .. typing 'help' changes this to print the
contents of /boot.help

gorgon 461# cvs -d /code/FreeBSD diff boot.c

RCS file: /code/FreeBSD/src/sys/i386/boot/biosboot/boot.c,v
retrieving revision 1.69
diff -r1.69 boot.c
62a63
> #define BOOT_BANNER_SIZE	512
66a68
> static char boot_banner[BOOT_BANNER_SIZE];
87a90
> 	char *boot_text = boot_banner;
128a132
> 	readfile("boot.banner", boot_banner, BOOT_BANNER_SIZE);
159c163
< 	       boot_help);
---
> 	       boot_text);
176c180,183
< 	else
---
> 	else if (!strcmp(linebuf, "help")) {
> 		boot_text = boot_help;
> 		goto loadstart;
> 	} else
180,183c187
< 	ret = openrd();
< 	if (ret != 0) {
< 		if (ret > 0)
< 			printf("Can't find %s\n", name);
---
> 	if (openrd() != 0)
185d188
< 	}
354,355d356
< 	int openstatus;
<
358,362c359
< 	openstatus = openrd();
< 	if (openstatus != 0) {
< 		if (openstatus > 0)
< 			printf("Can't find file %s\n", name);
< 	} else {
---
> 	if (openrd() == 0) {

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Demon Internet, Austin, Texas.