Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 16:43:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Niall Smart <rotel@indigo.ie>
Cc:        Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>, dima@best.net, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel permissions

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Niall Smart wrote:

> On Apr 16, 10:13am, Philippe Regnauld wrote:
> } Subject: Re: kernel permissions
>
> > 	Preventing things in the eventual (unproven) fear that
> > 	they could be exploited in some way (not necessarily
> > 	security) is, IMHO, "change for the sake of change".
>
> I'd call this "prudence".  I'd call chmod 440 /kernel "over-prudence"
> though. :)

So, one possible concern might be for US residents that with developed
IPsec code in ones kernel (including encryption), ones kernel might no
longer be exportable :).  We wouldn't want our users grabbing the kernel
code to run on their own machine :).

(I know, a stretch, but...)

  Robert N Watson

----