Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2001 11:53:35 +0100
From:      Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dedicated smtp relay box

>Is that with the antivirus?

no, just smtp/smptd processes

>It is also running the remotes, as well as many pop3, imap, apache
>for web mail etc.
>
> > postfix is fast and easy to set up.  I can send you my config files
> > and the sysctl params you need to open up FreeBSD to handle 200+
> > SMPT/D processes.  Wietse has also updated the postfix FAQ with my
> > sysctl tuning info.
>
>Again, is that with the antivirus there slowing it down?

no, strictly an SMTP border/relay-only hub

>Looking at my hardware on hand, I could put together a box as large as
>1 or 2 p3 800's, and 512MB or 1GB  of RAM.  How much do you think would
>be necessary?

For SMTP relay, P500 / 512 megs as SMTP relay-only can handle maybe
30K - 50K msgs/hour (FreeBSD + postfix + anti-abuse settings).

For an AV box, it's a whole 'nother ballgame, much more intensive,
can't say what it would take, depends on your volume.

>Have you ever had any problems with that filtering spam?

I would say all the IMGate machines are running all three databases
at mail-abuse.org, plus up to several dozen expressions in
header_checks and body_checks (straight RegEx string matching, no
decompression or MIME decoding) on incoming, plus delivering all outgoing.

>Sounds great, but here's where I am stuck:  all our users already point
>their mail clients to mail.datafast.net.au

but the mail clients do an A record lookup for that, not an MX lookup.

>(and others), for smtp/pop3/imap.

To provide for flexibility in the future for splitting various mail
functions off from the initial do-it-all mail machine, I strongly
recommend that mail-related hostnames be defined for every zone,
something like:

@      mx  10   mx1.domain.com.
mx1    mx  10   mx1.domain.com.

smtp       A   ip.ad.re.ss   ; mail client sends outbound here, maybe
with SMTP AUTH or POP B4 SMTP
mail       A   ip.ad.re.ss   ; this is wht your client use now, no
need to change it
pop        A   ip.ad.re.ss   ; read pop boxes here
webmail    A   ip.ad.re.ss   ; do http webmail here
mx1        A   ip.ad.re.ss   ; internet severs send mail here

As you grow, your users keep their well-known hostnames, but you can
change the ip addresses "underneath" as you add specialized boxes.

>I can't change that.  So I am going to need to do it with port redirection
>on the firewall, or something like that.  Changing the MX's is fine, but
>I will need the redirection to force all of our customer's mail through
>the antivirus.

Well, another way would be like we do:  mail hub fowards incoming,
per-domain (AV is payable option per-domain), to AV box which
forwards to mailbox server.  mailbox server outgoing forwarded to AV
box that forwards to mail hub for delivery to Internet.  downstream
mailservers (on leased lines, dial-ups, ETRN stuff) forward their
outbound to AV box.

no ip routing involved, only SMTP routing in postfix's relay_domains
and transport tables.

>I am thinking of setting up one box to do 1 & 2.  If the load grows too
>large, I will add more boxes and load balance, as somebody on the list
>suggested to me last week.
>
>So, in summary, I would like to do this, how much hardware should I
>throw at it?  It is delivering about 2.5GB a day, running AVP.

If you're scanning 2.5 gb of mail now with AVP, you have a much
better feel than I do.  We have an old P300 with 64 megs doing AVP
scanning with AvpFreeBSDDaemon under Amavis PERL 10 but only 3k msgs,
a few 100 megs/day.

Len

http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : Binary for ISC BIND 8.2.3 for NT4 & W2K
http://IMGate.MEIway.com : Build free, hi-perf, anti-spam mail gateways