Date:      Wed, 08 Jan 1997 01:14:00 -0700
From:      Blaine Minazzi <bminazzi@w3page.com>
To:        isp@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: dedicating bandwidth?

> > hmm...
> >
> > i think i did ask about this a while back, but didnt get any answers...
> >
> > that leads me to assume my message didnt get thru somehow...
> >
> > anyway, i would like to dedicate bandwidth between my machine, and the
> > ethernet machine(s). meaning that the ethernet can not take the full
> > ppp bandwidth and also that my machine can not take it all so that there's
> > something left for the ethernet users...

I know this is not an answer, but I have to ask.
   Do you allready have a problem with bandwidth usage?

Many times I see people throwing Time/Effort/Money at something that
they percieve _may_, _could_be_ , _If the moon is full_ , and I hold my
tounge just right, problem.  Or, they are not familiar enough with what
the operating system is already designed to do.

If you are currently experiancing this problem, it may be worth some
time and energy.
If you just think it might be, or want to be able to micro manage the
way FreeBSD works, it might be better to trust the developers of the
kernel. They have spent a lot of time, effort, and energy to make
this funny little thing called Unix, FreeBSD, etc. do networking and
multitasking, bandwidth utilization, etc. *VERY WELL*.

I only say this because I have had a number of clients go from
other O/S's, and are used to crappy performance
due to one machine or system hogging all the resourses.
Get them set up right, and it just humms along, working perfectly.
A properly tuned out of the box FreeBSD system can really shine, without
a lot of hacking.  Kudo's to the Core Team.

Blaine