Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 10:59:15 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Chris Bolt <chris@bolt.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vinum problems continued

Computer output wrapped.

On Saturday, 22 June 2002 at  9:20:51 -0600, Chris Bolt wrote:
> I'm still having problems with vinum. A disk crashed and I replaced it,
> but I still can't get the volume back up. I created a new disk to
> replace the one that crashed:
>
> # cat /etc/vinum.conf.temp
> drive d2new device /dev/ad2s1e
> # vinum create /etc/vinum.conf.temp
> 3 drives:
> D d1                    State: up       Device /dev/ad1s1e      Avail: 0/57239 MB (0%)
> D d3                    State: up       Device /dev/ad3s1e      Avail: 0/57239 MB (0%)
> D d2                    State: referenced       Device  Avail: 0/0 MB
> D d2new                 State: up       Device /dev/ad2s1e      Avail: 57239/57239 MB (100%)

You shouldn't create a new drive.  Remove the referenced one and start
again.  This is described in
http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/replacing-drive.html

> 1 volumes:
> V raid5                 State: up       Plexes:       1 Size:         55 GB
>
> 1 plexes:
> P raid5.p0           R5 State: degraded Subdisks:     2 Size:         55 GB
>
> 3 subdisks:
> S raid5.p0.s0           State: empty    PO:        0  B Size:         55 GB
> S raid5.p0.s1           State: crashed  PO:        0  B Size:         55 GB
> S raid5.p0.s2           State: empty    PO:     1024 kB Size:         55 GB
> *** Warning: configuration updates are disabled. ***

You've already lost.  Somehow you got the other subdisks empty.  You
haven't shown how.  You could try setstate up on them, but depending
on how you got here, that may or may not work.

> What now?
> My on-disk configuration is at:
>   http://www.bolt.cx/~chris/vinum/log
> /var/log/messages at:
>   http://www.bolt.cx/~chris/vinum/messages
> /var/log/vinum_history at:
>   http://www.bolt.cx/~chris/vinum/vinum_history

These files are just a small part of what must have happened.  They
don't help.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.