Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 1997 04:12:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Intuitive Design Archive <archive@in-design.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XDM and X problems

On Thu, 3 Apr 1997, Doug White wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Apr 1997, Intuitive Design Archive wrote:
>
> > Two problems:
> >
> > 	My keyboard randomly freezes every so often.  Sometimes it works like
> > a charm for days, and then it freezes.  Actually the longest I got it to work
> > was for two days straight.  I am not sure what is causing it, but I usually
> > end up telneting in and rebooting.  When it freezes I usually get the
> > following in ps:
> >
> >  148  v0  S<s+   0:00.10 login -p \^_\^\\^\\^\\^R\^\\^O\^\
> >
> > Which I have never seen before.  Sometimes I get kicked out of Xsession as
> > well.  And  In XDM-errors after I use the mouse to exit the session.
> >
> > X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
> > X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
> > xf86OpenConsole: VT_ACTIVATE failed
> >
> > Sometimes, I am able to relogin (i.e. the keyboard starts working again);
> > I am not.  Above session shows that the keyboard froze twice.  First time I
> > was able to relogin and second time I was not
> >
> > (xf86OpenConsole: VT_ACTIVATE failed)
> >
> > Which I have never seen before.  Sometimes I get kicked out of Xsession as
> > well.
>
> Your keyboard may be broken.  Have you tried replacing it?  My MicroSwitch
> shuts down when used with my old motherboard for extended periods of time.

	Tried three keyboards so far with no luck :( It only happens when
XDM is running but not when using startx...

> > 	Second  Problem is with SVGA.  It is not listed bellow, because
> > I am running in vga16 as you can see.  When I am in SVGA mode, it runs fine,
> > and then randomly freezes, approxemtly 1-2 minuites into the xsession.
> > This occurs whether I am using xdm or startx.
> > I was told that it may be a problem with video shadowing in the bios,
> > and system caching.  I played with all that and
> > implemented every possible combination to no avail.  Can someone point me to
> > what I exactly have to change in the bios?  Or are there any other solutions
> > out there short of replacing my motherboard and video card?
>
> Bad memory?

	I thought so. Ordered new memory and put it in... Still same
problem.  Could it be bad ram?  I noticed that the server works fine
until I try launching something like emacs, knews, netscrape, ect.

> > xf86OpenConsole: VT_ACTIVATE failed
> > xf86OpenConsole: VT_WAITACTIVE failed
> > Fatal server error:
> > xf86OpenConsole: VT_SETMODE VT_PROCESS failed
> > xf86CloseConsole: KDDISABIO failed (Inappropriate ioctl for device)
>
> Is ``options XSERVER'' defined in your kernel?

	I am using 2.1.7 and XF86 3.2  and using the reqular sc0:
device          sc0     at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr

and not the :

device          vt0     at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector pcrint

	So should I use the vt0 and include the xserver option, as I thought
it only applies if you use this device...

						Thanks alot
						Tamer Ziady

						Intuitive Design Archive
						http://www.in-design.com