Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 2003 02:02:46 +0100 (CET)
From:      "=?iso-8859-1?q?Pedro=20F.=20Giffuni?=" <giffunip@yahoo.com>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the mythical syscons redesign document ( was Re: Porting wscons )

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=302402+322879+/usr/local/www/db/text/1998/freebsd-current/19980802.freebsd-current

> It makes perfect sense to me why this hasn't been
> implemented. Not
> because it's wrong, but because it's impractical.

Ahem... the original document is from 1993. By those
years it was probably ahead of it's time :-). I think
there is one important thing that must be learned:

What ever is done nowadays, must be based on an OO
design.

In support to this, Newbus (which wasn't even a plan
in those years) is our friend.
I propose the following approach:

1) properly newbussify all the devices used by our
console.
2) newbussify syscons (it doesn't use methods, does
it?) and clean the PC specifics as much as possible.
3) port and newbussify wscons.
4) find a way to run the both at the same time.

I don't think we should go directly to (3). FWIW, the
last time I tried running pcvt I got really scared by
the incompatibilities: X didn't run, screensavers
would block the console and even pine wasn't
functional either. Moving everyone by default to
another console would be hectic.

> An interesting read for historical reasons, but not
> really for the
> problem at hand. I still don't know how X is or
> would be affected if
> we would change our console implementation...

There are security issues too, and that's why libSVGA
is considered ugly. For the time being we should
continue doing what everyone does ;-).

KGI is perhaps the only opensource project that has
considered several important issues. I think it's the
way to go for the future, although it still requires
more hacking cycles.

cheers,

    Pedro.