Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 1999 23:57:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Barrett Richardson <barrett@phoenix.aye.net>
To:        Jack Wenger <webmaster@deancare.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS can't resolve a single domain

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Jack Wenger wrote:

> This is a strange one. I'm running split DNS and my internal nameserver
> can't resolve one domain. The domain in question is baraboonational.com. I
> can resolve it outside of my firewall, but not inside. Everything else
> resolves. I've added the IP and host/domain name to a couple of
> workstations and they then can see the sight. Would someone who knows more
> about DNS please help me?
> Jack Wenger
> Internet Administrator
> Dean Health Plan
> Madison, WI
> 608-250-1237

I just did this:

$ dig baraboonational.com soa

; <<>> DiG 8.1 <<>> baraboonational.com soa
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      baraboonational.com, type = SOA, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
baraboonational.com.    1W IN SOA       baraboonational.com.
root.baraboonational.org. (
                                        19990532        ; serial
                                        6h13m           ; refresh
                                        30M             ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1W )            ; minimum

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
baraboonational.com.    1W IN NS        ns2.diginsite.com.
baraboonational.com.    1W IN NS        ns1.diginsite.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns2.diginsite.com.      2h24m IN A      y.y.y.y
ns1.diginsite.com.      2h24m IN A      y.y.y.y

;; Total query time: 3981 msec
;; FROM: xxxxxxxx.infi.net to SERVER: default -- x.x.x.x
;; WHEN: Thu Oct 21 23:46:29 1999
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 37  rcvd: 178

$ nslookup baraboonational.com
Server:  ns2.infi.net