Date:      Wed, 22 May 2002 22:01:34 -0500
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to remotely illuminate a room with BSD?

I just installed a network camera in my office. I really want to play
with it, and see live streaming video tonight, but I turned the lights
out in my office.

I know this is really stupid, but I would really get a kick out of
seeing my monitor on my workstation turn on, which I'm sure would flood
the room with enough light to see something.

My workstation is currently running X, but the monitor is in 'energy
saving' mode. I'm wondering if there's a way to simulate a keypress or
mouse event remotely.

I thought about killing the X Server, which would probably 'wake' the
monitor and show a console. But the mostly-black console would not be
quite as illuminating as a bright X display.

Is it possible to *start* an X Server from a remote machine?

I know this is all astonishingly trivial, and I am proving myself to be
an insufferable geek, but *I want to remotely illuminate my office*!!

--
Christopher Farley
www.northernbrewer.com