Date:      Wed, 28 Dec 2005 22:53:53 +0100
From:      "Martin P. Hansen" <mph@lima.dyndns.dk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Preserve date when cp over smbfs

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, Gilbert Cao wrote:
> When I copy a single file with the cp utility, with -p flag, to
> a smbfs mounted directory, the modification datetime is not preserved and it
> is set to the current datetime :

I've had this problem too, cp was also emitting a warning about utimes:

mph# mount -t smbfs -o-Eiso8859-1:cp850,-f660 //mph@light/e$ /mnt
mph% cp -p INFO /mnt
cp: utimes: /mnt/INFO: Operation not permitted

This was because I wasn't ``owner'' of the files. Adding the -u flag fixed this.

mph# mount -t smbfs -o-Eiso8859-1:cp850,-f660,-umph //mph@light/e$ /mnt

Now my modification time is preserved.

--
Martin P. Hansen                   |  ()  ASCII Ribbon Campaign