Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 1998 23:02:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        karl@mcs.net, shimon@simon-shapiro.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG, jak@cetlink.net, karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se
Subject:   -current NFS discussion

Hello John et al.,

Just to add my own observations of -current NFS...  We run a mixture of
unix platforms at our site (SunOS 4.1.3U1, IRIX 5.X and 6.X, Digital UNIX
4.0, Linux 2.X, FreeBSD 2.2.5 and -current) and our NFS server is an
Auspex NS7000.  I support -current on my own box here so that I can keep
up-to-date with things and advise the rest of the lab on progress.  My
machine mounts the Auspex in NFSv3 mode at 100Mb/s across an ethernet
switch.  I have an Intel EtherExpress Pro 100b interface card. Stability
of NFS has been shakey over the past several weeks so I keep having to
fall back to the Feb 14 kernel I built.  Although today's kernel (cvsupped
the morning of March 5 PST) seems to be working fine so far (I believe the
recent change to vfs_bio.c v1.153 on March 4 may be responsible for this
for me).

However, I am still experiencing (i.e. I've reported this before) an
NFS-related problem with today's -current whereby if I use the the
compat-linux gcc to compile source code located on an NFS mounted
filesystem the resulting executable is defective and will not run.  The
same code compiles perfectly when located on a local filesystem.  For some
reason, trivially simple code (like hello_world) compiles fine even if
across NFS but larger code fails.  I have not been able to narrow down the
point in complexity or file-size at which the problem creeps in but I'd
say the evidence points at a problem in NFS still lurking in there.

So, you may ask, why do I care about compiling Linux binaries on a FreeBSD
box?  Well, believe it or not, it's very useful to us because we make
great use of Matlab (for which there is a Linux version but not a FreeBSD
version) and we need to link in our own object code to operate within
Matlab efficiently.  Pretty twisted, I know, but it does work rather well
(except for the NFS problem, that is).

If I can be of help to supply more info on this problem please let me
know.

Many, many thanks,

Tom