Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 1996 10:40:24 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        adrian@virginia.edu
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: instability with 2.1.5 kernel

Adrian T. Filipi-Martin wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
>         When shutting down my 2.1.5-RELEASE system, the kernel is failing
> with alarming regularity to flush all of the buffers.  I frequently see
> about a dozen 4's and the a "giving up" message before the system
> reboots.  When the systme comes up the root filesystem and sometimes
> others are not marked clean and must be fsck'ed.
>
>         Has anyone else seen this?

Yes! I never bothered to post to questions (or stable) about it as I seldom
shutdown my machines, but almost whenever I do, I can see this symptom. There
are other weird things with shutdown on 2.1.5: For example, shutting down from
an xterm (which used to work just fine) would hang up the machine instead of
switching back to the console vty0 before halting.

>         I have also seen a 'shutdown -h +0' go directly to rebooting.
>
>         These problems did not appear until after upgrading from 2.1.  I
> have not seen any wierdness with prior version.
>
>         Bad hardware or a bug?

I guess it's a bug of some sortrs, as I see the same behaviour on two machines
(though I only shut them down for kernel rebuilds and the such, which is not
very often).

> thanks,
>         Adrian
>
> adrian@virginia.edu                ---->>>>| Support your local programmer,
> System Administrator                 --->>>| STOP Software Patent Abuses NOW!
> NVL, NIIMS and Telemedicine Labs       -->>| For an application and information
> Member: League for Programming Freedom   ->| see: http://www.lpf.org/
Nadav