Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 11:51:02 -0500
From:      Lucas Bergman <iceberg@pobox.com>
To:        mfeller@wallace.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tape Backup Help (was: New at This)

> I just inherited our school's FreeBSD 2.2.8 internet server last
> month.  [snip]  My question here is:  what command line should I use
> this first time to get a complete system back-up. I want to back up
> in such a way that if I lose the entire system again, all I have to
> do is a basic new install and then restore the back up. Thanks in
> advance for your assistance in this matter.

Hi.  If I were you, I'd check out dump(8).  You can check ports and so
forth for more sophisticated backup tools if you want, but a 0-level
dump(8) will at least get you started.  (Actually, I used dump(8)
regularly for quite a while.)

BTW, if someone intends to start a "FooBackup (TM) is way cooler than
BazTape (TM)!" flamewar, kindly leave me out of it... :)

Lucas
--
                             S. Lucas Bergman
                             University of Illinois at Chicago