Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 2009 08:51:33 +0100
From:      Philip Paeps <philip@freebsd.org>
To:        Ask =?utf-8?B?QmrDuHJu?= Hansen <ask@develooper.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP client not getting IP address from Time Warner

On 2009-11-03 07:47:14 (-0800), Ask Bjørn Hansen <ask@develooper.com> wrote:
> On FreeBSD their DHCP server seems to just ignore me (but I see lots  of
> broadcast replies to 255.255.255.255/ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff).  I've  tried with
> both the standard dhclient and the isc dhclient from ports.
>
> 00:00:24:c9:23:c1 is my FreeBSD box (Soekris 5501 with vr ethernet):
>
> 	http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/25895/dhcp/dhcp-freebsd.txt

According to that log-file, the server is not ignoring you at all.  You are
ignoring the server?  Your client sends a DHCPDISCOVER -- for some reason it
flips a bit in the client identifier, but that doesn't really matter, since
it's just something the client and the server need to agree on -- and the
server broadcasts DHCPOFFERS.  What I'm not seeing here, are DHCPREQUESTs,
which your client needs to send to accept an offer.

Strangely, there are DHCPACKs, which suggests the server has seen a
DHCPREQUEST.

It is very interesting that in the FreeBSD case, the server seems to want to
broadcast it's DHCPOFFER and in the OS X case, it unicasts it.

 - Philip

--
Philip Paeps                                    Please don't Cc me, I am
philip@freebsd.org                               subscribed to the list.

  A budget is trying to figure out how the family next
  door is doing it.