Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 96 01:01:45 PST
From:      obrien@cs.ucdavis.edu (David E. O'Brien)
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/1039: two different spellings of "timezone"

>Number:         1039
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       two different spellings of "timezone"
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE i386
>Environment:

	none.

	There are two different spellings for "timezone" used in the .Nd field
	of the .Sh NAME field in manpages.  The two are "timezone" used by
	timezone(3) and "time zone" used by zdump(8), tzsetup(8), tzfile(5),
	etc.

	The problem is when you do a ``man -k timezone'' you will only get
	timezone(3).  Doing ``man -k "time zone"'' is not as useful as it could
	be since it is inturpted as looking for keywords "time" OR "zone", not
	"time" AND "zone" -- thus generating more noise than is useful.

	I ran into this when I wanted to finally set my CMOS time to the local
	time where I am, and still have FreeBSD time stamp everything correctly.
	So I kept pursuing the manual using ``man -k'' to find the files/programs
	I need to deal with.

>How-To-Repeat:

	man -k timezone
	man -k "time zone"

>Fix:

	Convert "time zone" to "timezone", which IMHO is what more people would
	think of using with ``man -k''.