Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 13:09:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Has the size of stable /modules increased a lot lately?

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Arjan de Vet wrote:

> In article <p0510100ab81e2921e9dc@[128.113.24.47]> you write:
>
> >This is something odd I noticed when I did a buildworld.  It may be due
> >to something I did, but I thought I'd mention it in case other people
> >start noticing the same thing.  My system is working fine, so this is
> >not a crisis for me.  Just an oddity that I thought I'd mention.
>
> I noticed it too recently when my / partition got full during the
> installworld phase :-(.
>
> A few weeks ago a change was MFC'd that will also compile modules with
> -g if you compile the kernel with -g. That's the reason why you are now
> seeing much larger modules than before.

    Ack.  kernel.debug doesn't get installed, and neither should
debug modules, IMHO, unless you do it deliberately.

    A temporary fix, aside from the patch you suggest, would be to
strip the modules at install time (e.g., install -s).

    That said, it is inevitable that new modules will appear (e.g.,
support for new filesystems and devices), so leaving some room to grow
in / is a good idea.  When I originally installed 3.4, 100MB was
plenty.  For new installs of 4.4, I'm using 200MB (and mounting /tmp
and /var as separate partitions, 3GB and 5GB, respectively), and probably
should have used even more.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)