Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 09:27:45 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Sal <sal@intellex.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP forging in Emails?

On Wednesday, 24 March 1999 at 16:42:50 -0600, Sal wrote:
> Help!  I work for an ISP that uses BSD (although this probably has
> nothing to do with the OS).  We have made the appropriate settings to
> sendmail to prevent relaying from anyone outside of our network and
> our policies scream "no spamming!", yet someone is.
>
> The spamming has been going on and on for the past three or four
> days.  No need to say our support Email box has a few hundred angry
> emails in it.  We'd normally approach the abuser and take the
> appropriate actions, but the problem is, we don't know who it is.
>
> The actual mailing process covers a couple of hours and when we
> match up our Portmaster detail files with the IP addresses on the
> samples of spam we've received, it's a different user every time!
> The Email's the same, but the user is different.  I don't believe we
> have a coalition of a few dozen users doing this.  I think someone is
> bouncing the spam from these innocent users' connections to make it
> appear as if the spam is coming from them.
>
> I'm not just looking for a fix, but a way to catch this guy.  If
> it's any help, our service covers five main towns and all the IP
> addresses on these Email's come from the same city.
>
> I'd love to get any suggestions you have because the sysadmin is
> pulling his hair out over this thing.  My address is sal@intellex.com
> and feel free to ask me for samples of the emails or whatever is
> needed to get this problem solved.  Thanks for your time and
> brain-power.

Well, I suppose the first thing to do is to take a look at the log
messages and find out what's going on.  It should be possible to stop
this, but a lot depends on what exactly they're doing.  From your
description, it looks as if the spam is made to look as if it's coming
from your domain.

Oh, and I'd appreciate if you'd send lines of not more than 80
characters.  It's a pain to read these one-line-per-paragraph
messages.

Greg