Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 96 12:31:07 PST
From:      "Brett Glass" <Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cannot boot after install

> If I recall correctly, the ATA-2 spec says that drives should not default
> to green mode; you're probably going to have to check with the spec and
> add some special code to the 'wd' driver to recognise your drive and
> disable 'green mode'.

I have the kernel code, but am unfamiliar with ATA-2. Anyone here know
where to get the spec? Also, it might be possible to add a driver flag
for disabling read-ahead.

--Brett

P.S. -- A week from Monday, you'll see some comments on the FreeBSD
kernel configuration program in InfoWorld. Check out

http://www.infoworld.com/pageone/opinions/glass.htm