Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 00:17:50 +0800
From:      "Boon Hoo" <theebh@magix.com.sg>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Problem installing ports

Hi, just managed to install my first FreeBSD(!), but stuck
with some problems. I tried reading the faq and handbook,
but can't seem to find the solution(somehow both of them are
not "comprehensive" enough). Hope someone can help here.

1. When i tried to install some ports (e.g. cd into
   /usr/ports/www/mozilla and "make") it complained of
   errors fetching files from ftp.freebsd.org (because
   I am not connected to the internet). The funny thing is
   that i have already mounted my cd-rom(burned from iso-image)
   that i installed freebsd from. Looking at the error messages,
   the installation process doesn't seem to seek for the cdrom at
   all. Am I missing something here?

2. How are the startup files in freebsd organised? Is it
   like linux, where the files are placed in /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc[n]/ ?

P.S: I am using freebsd 4.0-rc2. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Jonathan