Date:      Tue, 31 Dec 2002 00:35:14 -0800
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, Harry Tabak <htabak@quadtelecom.com>, dever@getaclue.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bystander shot by a spam filter.

Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:

>> > Sure they do.
>>
>> LOL. You can't prove that assertion, you don't have the means.
>
> You mean, of course, that I can't prove it to you, due to your
> willful ignorance of the calculus necessary to the proof.  8-).

That and mostly because -all- people do not have predicatve behavior
sets. Some do, but not all.

>> > Human behaviour, at least relative to groups, is both quantifiable
>> > and predictable.
>>
>> I disagree, and here we meet the classic Lambert/Hayes impasse.
>> Welcome back!
>
> These mailing lists are completely predictable

Looking at a sample of the population of the lists, I'd say this
is more true than it is for some equal random sampling of humans.

> because the FreeBSD
> project itself is completely predictable, as a variation of the
> non-linear Richardson equation describing a mutual security game
> called "GloboCop".

And heeere we go again.

>> > Yet a falling anvil from the top of the building will not respect
>> > their beliefs.
>>
>> You'd be surprised. I've seen instances with my own eyes where the
>> laws of physics haven't held. I know I take great risk saying this,
>> because this is akin to telling a Christian that Jesus was just
>> another man...but that's my experience.
>
> Feel free to demonstrate them repeatably under laboratory
> conditions...

It's the laboratory conditions themselves which prevent the display of
such things.

> you will win the acceptance of all true scientists.

I don't want their acceptance. I want people to be sane, for some
arbitrary definition of sanity that I see but cannot elucidate.

So it's not about what I want. ;)

>> > Beliefs that contradict reality are unconvincing to reality
>>
>> Even the belief that there is one and only one objective reality which
>> everyone shares whether they want to or not?
>
> Does that one contradict reality?

Define "reality"?

>> > You can't argue with the laws of physics (well, you can... but you
>> > will always lose; gotta love the laws of physics...).
>>
>> When you can explain the magic of David Copperfield or David Blane,
>> I'll listen to this argument.
>
> They are perceptual tricks.  Almost all visual tricks are based
> on the fundamental wiring of human beings.
> If you want me to come up with a way to duplicate a particular
> trick, then provide a reference for the trick, so that I can
> personally observe its operation.

Blane levitates on TV. That's about the best I can do, there are
a lot of recorded magic tricks on video and I'm sure these people
perform somewhere.
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

Politically Correct - From "Poly" meaning "many", "Ticks"
meaning "blood sucking leeches", "Core" meaning "the center
of, and "Rectum" meaning "what you release crap out of". YOU
figure it out.