Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:10:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
Cc:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>, FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Apache

On Feb 21, Doug Young wrote:
>I had what sounds exactly the same problem a while back .... hours & hours
>of tearing hair out later I stumbled across the solution. For some reason
>beyond me, the default data directory in apache points to a symlink, &
>apparently that is critical and must be left intact even though httpd.conf
>points to the actual data files elsewhere. I'd deleted that inadvertently
>without realizing it was critical, hence the error 404. Maybe someone more
>knowledgable than me understands more about the issue .... as always there
>isn't anything obvious in the docs about the symlink. I "borrowed" a number
>of httpd.confs without making the slightest difference ... it was only by
>reinstalling Apache completely that the problem was resolved.

There is no "magic" symlink in a basic apache install.  The system
you were working on must have been modified.  Unless you mean the
/home -> /usr/home symlink that FreeBSD uses, deleting /home would
certainly break
DocumentRoot /home/www

In httpd.conf just point DocumentRoot at the /full/path to your
html documents.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, Inc.                            dan@dpcsys.com